Posts for category: General

January 06, 2022
Category: General
Tags: Shoulder Doctor  

Has shoulder pain begun to interfere with your life? Dr. Roger Pollock, your Paramus, NJ, shoulder doctor, treats a variety of shoulder conditions and can help you manage pain and other symptoms.

Should I see an orthopedic shoulder specialist?

Get in touch with your shoulder doctor if you experience any of these symptoms:

  • Your shoulder looks deformed after an injury
  • You can't use your shoulder or have difficulty moving it
  • You have severe pain
  • You've been dealing with mild to moderate shoulder pain for more than two weeks
  • Your shoulder is red, warm, or swollen

What causes shoulder pain and mobility issues?

Shoulder pain can be caused by:

  • Rotator Cuff Tears: The rotator cuff is the collection of muscles and tendons surrounding the ball-and-socket shoulder joint. The rotator cuff holds the ball portion of the upper arm bone in the joint and makes it possible to lift your arms. A fall, injury, or repetitive arm movements can cause a tear in the tendons that connect muscles to bones in the joint. You're more likely to experience this type of injury as you get older, as tendons stiffen and degenerate as part of the aging process. Symptoms of a rotator cuff tear include shoulder weakness, difficulty lifting objects or raising your arms, and a popping sound when you move the joint.
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Bursitis: Inflammation of any of the tendons or bursae in the shoulder joint can also cause pain, particularly at night, or make it difficult to move your shoulder in certain ways. Although an injury can cause shoulder tendonitis or bursitis, the conditions are common in people who frequently raise their arms over their heads, such as electricians, mechanics, and tennis and baseball players.
  • Arthritis: Arthritis might be the source of your shoulder pain and stiffness. Both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis can affect the shoulder joints. People who have had rotator cuff tears in the past are at increased risk of developing arthritis.
  • Fractures: A car accident or fall could fracture the bones in your shoulder joint. If you break your shoulder, you may notice that the joint is swollen, painful, and deformed. Fractures may make it difficult to move your shoulder.

During your visit to the Paramus, NJ, office, your shoulder doctor will diagnose the source of your shoulder issues and recommend treatments that will relieve pain, reduce stiffness and improve mobility.

Do you need to see the shoulder doctor in Paramus, NJ? Call (201) 612-9774 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Pollock.

If you have shoulder pain, arthritis, or fractures of the shoulder, you can trust Dr. Roger Pollock, your orthopaedic surgeon in Paramus, NJ, for proper treatment and care.

What Is an Orthopaedic Surgeon?

Orthopaedic surgeons are specialists who diagnose and treat disorders affecting your bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Dr. Pollock has received fellowship training in shoulder surgery and has extensive experience  to provide high quality surgical and non-surgical treatment for disorders of the shoulder in patients ranging from adolescents to seniors.

When you go to see Dr. Pollock in Paramus, NJ, he'll begin by evaluating your condition. A thorough history, physical exam and x-rays can help identify the cause of your discomfort and develop your treatment plan.

When to See an Orthopaedic Surgeon

Shoulder pain or dysfunction are signs that you should see Dr. Pollock. If you have pain that makes even the simplest tasks such as reaching for something on the top shelf impossible, you should schedule your next appointment. Other conditions that warrant a visit to your orthopaedic surgeon include:

  • Shoulder pain
  • Shoulder arthritis
  • Sports injury to the shoulder
  • Fracture of the shoulder
  • Rotator cuff tendinitis or tears
  • Shoulder dislocations
  • Labral tears

How Your Orthopaedic Surgeon Can Help You

After diagnosing your condition, he will develop a treatment plan beginning with conservative therapies. Sometimes, a simple change in posture can improve your condition. Therapies that your orthopaedic surgeon can use to treat your musculoskeletal problems include:

  • Medication- Your doctor might prescribe medication to relieve your pain and inflammation. Muscle relaxers might also help improve your condition.
  • Physical Therapy- If you're having trouble using your shoulder, we can improve mobility through physical therapy.
  • Exercise- An exercise routine helps promote recovery and prevent re-injury.
  • Surgery- When your condition fails to improve with conservative therapies, you may need surgery.

If you're having trouble moving your shoulder or you experience joint pain and inflammation, call (201) 612-9774 today to book an appointment. Dr. Pollock, your orthopaedic surgeon in Paramus, NJ, can help.

March 25, 2021
Category: General

How your orthopaedic surgeon in Bergen County, NJ, can help you

If you have a shoulder injury, you may be tempted to just sit on the couch. The truth is, inactivity can make an injured area stiff, and you can lose mobility and range-of-motion. A better solution is to seek out the services of your Bergen County orthopaedic surgeon.

Dr. Roger Pollock in Bergen County, NJ, treats a wide range of shoulder injuries, using state-of-the-art orthopaedic procedures. He can help you retain a flexible shoulder, so you can enjoy the activities of your life.

So when is it time to see your orthopaedic surgeon for a shoulder injury? You should seek medical treatment if:

  • You heard your shoulder pop due to an injury or accident; this could be a sign of a rotator cuff injury or joint dislocation.
  • Your shoulder has lost strength; a weakened shoulder can be a sign you have ruptured or torn your rotator cuff.
  • Your shoulder feels unstable; instability could be a sign your shoulder is dislocated. Your shoulder may go back into its original position right after your injury, but if it doesn’t, it’s time to see Dr. Pollock.
  • You notice a bump on the top of your shoulder that is extremely painful; this could mean that your shoulder joint is injured or you have separated your shoulder.
  • Your collarbone is painful; if you notice pain in your clavicle after an injury, it could mean you have fractured your collarbone.

If you notice any of the signs or symptoms listed above, it’s time to see your Bergen County orthopaedic surgeon. Dr. Pollock is an expert at healing an injured shoulder.

Your shoulder is important, and you need to be able to use it. You need to restore strength, flexibility, and range-of-motion, and your orthopaedic surgeon can help. To find out more about orthopaedic shoulder injury treatments and services, call Dr. Roger Pollock in Bergen County, NJ, at (201) 612-9774. Call now!